The Serni Fulvio Luigi‘s farm is located in the territory of Castagneto Carducci, on the Thyrrenian coast, at the foot of the hills and a few miles from the sea. The business is run on a family basis and has a long agricultural tradition.
Part of the land is situated on the hill, where are grown half of the olive trees from which the extra virgin oil is produced. The other olive trees of the farm are on the plain, bordering the Bolgheri road which, from the foot of the Castagneto hills, leads to the well known Carducci’s Cypress Avenue.
The surface of the land is about 49 acres (20 Ha), of which 15 are devoted to the production of cereals, like wheat and barley. A 5 acre fruit garden produces peaches and plums. Another 5 acres are covered with 1500 olive trees, some of them older than a century, some other planted more recently.
Three quarters of an acre are covered with nonheated green houses for the production of strawberries, tomatoes, lettuce and zucchini. The rest of the land, approximately 7,5 cres is planted with vines, some of them in production and some planted in 1999.
The average output of extra virgin olive oil is 4 to 5 tons per year. The olives are processed in a nearby traditional stone mill, owned by the Serni family for many years and at present run by Attilio, one of the brothers.
The wine production consists of different types: from the DOC of Bolgheri to the IGT (Typical Geografic Indication) of Tuscany, for a total of 6 tons of whites and 3 tons of reds. Yield will increase from 2003-2004 when the young vines will start production.
Our company is a member of the Consortium Strada del Vino Costa degli Etruschi (Etrurian Coast Wine Road), and our products are displayed at all the exhibitions in which the Consortium takes part. The company is also member of the Consortium of protection of the Bolgheri D.O.C. wine.